Mission and History
Creating a better world, by serving people in need.
Food, clothing and shelter are the basic needs of all people. Due to unforeseen circumstances, sometimes people are unable to obtain these basic needs. That's why Lutheran Social Services of Central Ohio (LSS) offers a continuum of services to lend a helping hand. From single adults to extended families, LSS is dedicated to "creating a better world by serving people in need."
LSS was organized May 23, 1912, as the Lutheran Inner Mission League and was incorporated on November 24, 1914. The League was founded to carry on general charitable and religious work and continues to serve that purpose to this day. On October 18, 1945, the League became inter-synodical and changed its name to the Lutheran Welfare League. In January 1970, the League officially became known as Lutheran Social Services of Central Ohio.
Today, LSS continues to offer services to provide for the basic needs of all people. Through its programs, LSS reaches central, northeast and southeast Ohio with select services offered statewide. By fulfilling our vision that respect, compassion and love overcome hatred, fear and loneliness, we strive "to create a better world by serving people in need."